Maybe you’ve decided now is the time to turn your creative skill into an enterprise? Are you excited by technologies like VR, AR and fulldome? Do you want to create an immersive experience or a light artwork? Have you got an idea for a business using creative technologies and want to scale and grow?
At Real Ideas, we have specialist facilities, great networks and years of experience running enterprises. COVID may have crashed the economy, but we’re determined to help brilliant new businesses, sensational side hustles and profit-making pet projects rise from the ashes.
If you’ve always dreamed that one-day you’d start something – something creative, something digital, something techy, something awesome! – then you better stop dreaming and start doing because we want to sponsor 10 start-ups or scale-ups with an incredible package of FREE support and one of them could be you!
Whether it’s immersive tech, digital tech or light artworks we’ve got the know how to help you start your creative career. What’s more, we have fantastic networks, spaces, and events for you to access, such as the Market Hall and the spectacular Illuminate Light Festival. Once refurbished the Market Hall will be a world-class space for creative, digital and immersive experiences, situated in the heart of historic Devonport, Plymouth, which will host a 15m diameter immersive dome, inspired by the dome at SAT in Montreal and the first of its kind in Europe. This state-of-the-art facility opens up a world of creative and immersive experiences, without the need for a VR headset. The Market Hall is also home to a fully equipped digital production suite and flexible co-working spaces.
From April and for the next year we are offering 10 FREE membership packages worth over £3,000 each to entrepreneurial people with ideas looking to start their creative career.
The fully funded membership package from Real Ideas will give you access to our co-working spaces, our specialist facilities such as the Market Hall dome, our expert business support mentors and access to events, workshops and one to one coaching from industry experts. We will also connect you with our partners, including the University of Plymouth immersive labs, Plymouth College of Art, the Fulldome Arts Network, Creative England and Crowdfunder to help test your plans with the crowd and raise investment.
What’s more, you’ll receive a fully-funded one year membership to the Creative Industries Federation – an amazing package of support.
You’ll have the opportunity to showcase your work and ideas through our public programme of events and experiences, in our Spaces, and to our Members… and you never know, we might even become a customer too!
We’re keen on ideas that use immersive and digital technologies in a creative forward-thinking way, particularly with social and / or environmental aims. We’re also keen to support ideas which make use of our immersive dome at the Market Hall or present at the Illuminate Light Festival.
Start Something Immersive is open to all, so you don’t have to be based locally to apply. However, please bear in mind that our spaces are in Plymouth, so candidates are advised to consider the practicalities of accessing these if residing outside of these areas.
We really want to hear from everyone, and we know this opportunity will be stronger with greater diversity. We encourage proposals from everyone, including women, black and minority ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ and those with disabilities. Please let us know if there are any adjustments we should consider as part of this selection process to ensure your experience is a positive one.
If you want to Start Something Immersive and think we could help, then get applying!
How to apply:
We’re looking for ideas and passion, not a 50-page proposal. To apply for one of our fully funded Start Something Immersive memberships, all you need to do is:
- Sign up for our webinar where you can hear all about the opportunity and have the chance to ask questions.
- Following the webinar you’ll be sent an email with a link to download the info pack that explains all about the expertise, space and facilities we have to offer.
- In the info pack you’ll find our super simple 1-sider business canvas – all the best business plans fit on a napkin you know! Fill that out with as much detail as you have right now. Don’t worry if there are some gaps, that’s exactly where we can help!
- Make a short video – no longer than 3 mins or no bigger than 100MB in size – telling us about yourself and your business idea. We want to know how our free package of support could help you, where you want your business to be in 12 months’ time and how your idea could make the world a better place. Tell us about any funding or support you’ve received so far and don’t forget to give us your social handles so we can check you out and give you a like and a follow online. Your video doesn’t have to be expertly shot or edited, so don’t worry about that, just focus on communicating your idea with passion.
- Submit your videos via our application form by Monday 15th March 2021.
What happens next?
We’ll select the best submissions to meet us virtually where we can learn more about you, your dreams, your plans and where this fully funded Membership could take you. From there we’ll offer our 10 favourite ideas a Start Something Immersive membership package* to begin on Monday 5th April 2021.
What are you waiting for? There’s never been a better time to Start Something Immersive!
This activity is part of the iMayflower project and has been supported by The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, who fund the Cultural Development Fund, which is administered by Arts Council England.
*Ts & Cs apply etc
Terms and Conditions
- To apply, candidates must be over 18 years. (Please do get in touch if you are under 18 years and are hoping to Start Something Immersive)
- To find out more about our spaces, get in touch or visit our website for more info.
- Start Something Immersive offers free membership package for 12 months, successful businesses will be expected to engage with us for the duration of this period.
- Successful Start Something Immersive candidates will be expected to observe our existing Membership Terms and Conditions You can find information on Real Ideas policies here